Radical Skincare - Anti spot & Anti UV set8:13 PM
I hope you all had a nice weekend!
If you follow me on instagram, you probably know that I'm really into skincare at the moment. I used to be really lazy about that but since last January I've started using a complete skincare routine and considering the improvement of my skin I got since then, I'm getting more and more interested in skincare products! I have a scientific background and I'm really enjoying reading scientific books or articles about cosmetics and also blogs, of course because it's interesting to hear what people think about a specific product for example! To tell you the truth, I'm getting a bit crazy about skincare and it's taking more and more place in my everyday life. That's why you'll probably see more skincare articles in the future on this blog. I hope you will enjoy the articles as much as I do :)
So today I have a set from Radical Skincare to review. If you want to learn more about the brand, you can read its story HERE.
Today I will speak about a Radical Skincare Serum and a sunscreen. Just to recapitulate things, I added below a drawing of my skincare routine (cleanser-toner-serum-lotion-cream). I will talk about my different products in another blog post otherwise this article will be too long!
Radical Skincare - Multi Brightening Serum
A few words about serums...
A serum can generally be considered as a moisturizing agent. However serums tend to be much lighter than traditional moisturizers and are absorbed faster and more effectively into the skin. They actually get absorbed deeper into the skin allowing more effective actions on the skin.
They also contain concentrated ingredients that usually target a specific skin problem, such as wrinkles, blemishes, or dark spots.
Radical Skincare Multi Brightening Serum targets dark spots. It claims to give you a more even complexion and a more radiant skin!
The packaging looks really professional and is very convenient. You just have to twis the cap and then press on it to release the appropriate amount of serum (see video below). About 3 pumps are enough for the whole face.
Designed to fight 7 identified causes of uneven skin tone and dark spots, it comprises a unique combination of highly functional actives, chosen for their efficacy, their clinical results in improving skin appearance and uniformity, in reducing size and intensity of dark spots, enabling it to prevent and repair all pigmentation disorders. There is also a vegetal exfoliating factor, for more even looking skin and immediate luminosity.
Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Isononyl Isononanoate, Dimethicone, Niacinamide, Tribehenin PEG-20 Esters, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Ascorbyl Glucoside, Salicylic Acid, Palmaria Palmata Extract, Tocopherol, Adenosine, Dictyopteris Membranacea Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Allantoin, Pancratium Maritimum Extract, Gaultheria Procumbens (Wintergreen) Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Superoxide Dismutase, Arachidyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Behenyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Sclerotium Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Arachidyl Glucoside, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lecithin, Pentylene Glycol, Tromethamine, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, O-Cymen-5-O.
- Glycerin: an humectant that attracts and retains the moisture in the air nearby via absorption, drawing the water vapor into and/or beneath the skin surface.
- Isononyl Isononanoate: an ester that functions as a skin-conditioning agent. It serves as an emollient and skin conditioner.
- Dimethicone: a silicone derivative, good film-forming agent (i.e., occlusive agent), lubricant, imparting a nongreasy, nontacky, and silky feel. It's a skin protective.
- Niacinamide: a vitamin B3 derivative that reduces cutaneous pigmentation, improves skin tone, and reduces dyspigmentation.
- Tribehenin PEG-20 Esters: have multiple functions in cosmetic products, including emollient, surfactant, and emulsifier.
- Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate: a form of Vitamin C. It works as an antioxidant and whitening agent, with both anti-acne and anti-aging capabilities.
- Ascorbyl Glucoside: a stable L-ascorbic acid compound, antioxidant, boosts collagen production, has lightening and brightening function, reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Ascorbyl Glucoside works by reducing the free radicals that are brought about by the exposure of the skin to UV radiation and has a lot of significant impacts in reducing UV induced skin cell damage as well as the effects of photoaging.
- Salicylic Acid: also called beta-hydroxy acid (BHA). It exfoliates skin and can improve its texture and color. It also helps with acne.
- Palmaria Palmata Extract: a red alga. Its antioxidant activity was demonstrated in vitro.
- Tocopherol (Vitamine E): antioxidant, protective against UV-induced effects to skin, reduces inflammation of skin.
- Adenosine: penetrates deeply into the skin to help prevent wrinkles, reduce UV B sun damage. It's a cell-communicating ingredient that can acts as an inflammation modulator.
- Dictyopteris Membranacea Extract: believed to have skin brightening properties. In vitro antioxidant properties of the crude extract have been demonstrated.
- Rosmarinus Officinalis Leaf Extract: antimicrobia, antioxidant.
- Raspberry Fruit Extract: astringent, keratolytic, skin conditioning and smoothing agent.
- Allantoin: has anti-inflammatory and antioxidative effects. It is a soothing, anti-irritant, and skin protecting agent.
-Pancratium Maritimum Extract: whitening agent.
- Wintergreen Leaf Extract: skin conditioning agent.
- Camellia sinensis leaf (green tea extract): a powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging agent. It's been shown to be an extremely effective treatment for reducing the redness and irritation associated with Rosacea.
- Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract: can improve the appearance of wrinkles, firmness, redness, and texture of facial skin. Exhibits an antioxidant activity.
- Superoxide Dismutase: an enzyme that may reduce free radical damage to skin, antioxidant.
- Arachidyl Alcohol: a waxy susbtance used as an emollient and thickening agent.
- Xanthan gum: a thickening agent.
- Behenyl Alcohol: a saturated fatty alcohol used traditionally as an emollient, emulsifier, and thickener.
- Disodium EDTA: a preservative or stabilizer used to prevent catalytic oxidative decoloration catalyzed by metal ions.
- Sclerotium Gum: stabilizer and thickening agent.
- Sodium Hydroxide: used for pH adjustment.
- Arachidyl Glucoside: a mild surfactant (cleansing) and emulsifying agent.
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil: emollient, skin conditioning agent.
- Lecithin: it softens, nourishes, and refattens the skin; it provides a nongreasy, long-lasting skin feel and improves foam feel and quality (creaminess, slipperiness, richness).
- Pentylene Glycol: a humectant, also secondarily used as a solvent and preservative.
- Tromethamine: pH regulating agent.
- Phenoxyethanol: a chemical preservative.
- Chlorphenesin: antifungal agent.
- O-Cymen-5-O: a anti-bacterial agent.
As you can see there are mostly whitening (i.e., anti-spot, brightening), antioxidant, anti-inflammatory agents as well as emollients and skin conditioning agents. So the ingredient list is in line with the claims of the product! Good point :D
It's a lightweight serum that is easy to spread on the skin. It's not sticky and doesn't have any particular scent. Absorption into the skin is fast.
As with all whitening/brightening serum, you have to use them for a few weeks before seeing a real improvement in your skin tone. Note that when I used the term whitening agent, it doesn't mean your skin will become whiter, it's just that it will get more even and thus help with dark spots you may have.
I have a dry sensitive skin that used to suffer from dehydration. I've used this serum once a day in complement of my usual skin routine for about 3 weeks and after 3 weeks I noticed that my complexion got more even and brighter. I don't particularly have dark spots so I cannot comment on that but generally when I go for a "whitening" treatment I'm really aiming for a more even skin tone. In that sense, this serum does the job very well. The only complaint I have is it size. It contains 15mL / 0.5 FL.Oz and is used quite fast.
Radical Skincare - Skin Perfecting Screen SPF 30
A few words about sunscreens...
Sunscreens are super important in your skincare routine! You just cannot imagine how much the sun can damage your skin and it's essential to protect your skin from these damages. Even when the sun doesn't seem to be very powerful, it can still damage your skin and you will not notice it immediately. It's only after years that they will become evident and at that point, you won't be able to do anything so we have to start caring about it now.
If you still have some doubts, have a look at this short movie. It's REALLY interesting!!
UV filters can be divided into chemical absorber and physical blockers on the basis of their mechanism of action. Chemical sunscreens are generally aromatic compounds conjugated with a carbonyl group.These chemicals absorb high-intensity UV rays. You have to put this type of sunscreen 20 minutes before sun exposure. There are some controversy about this kind of compounds but as they are not used in Radical sunscreen I will not go into details.
Physical blockers (non chemical sunscreens, such as TiO2 and ZnO) reflect or scatter UV radiations. Newer microsized forms of physical blockers may also function in part by absorption. You don't have to put this type of sunscreen 20 minutes before sun exposure as for the chemical sunscreens.
An ultra lightweight matte lotion, to protect your skin against UV damages. The perfect partner of any Radical regimen, ideal companion of any outdoor exercise, this lightweight matte lotion offers 100% non-chemical sunscreen with high sunburn protection, and light diffusing pigments to visibly reduce the appearance of wrinkles and imperfections, a hint of tint for the perfect healthy radiance.
Aqua, Caprylyl Methicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Zinc Oxide (Nano), Isododecane, Titanium Dioxide (Nano), Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Maris Sal, Adenosine, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate, Niacinamide, Tocopherol, Diamond Powder, Allantoin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Coffea Arabica Seed Extract, Superoxide Dismutase, Alumina, Methicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Mica, CI 77891, Disodium EDTA, PEG-10, Glycerin, Isostearic Acid, CI 77491, Lecithin, Xanthan Gum, Pentylene Glycol, Tromethamine, Phenoxyethanol
In this Radical sunscreen, phyiscal blockers are used as sunscreens. TiO2 and ZnO are chemically inert and protect through the full spectrum of UV radiations. Contrarily to old formulations where zinc oxide and titanium dioxide caused an opaque white look, here the particle size of these materials are decreased to microsize or ultrafine grade and therefore it is almost invisible on the skin surface.
This is my new go-to sunscreen! It applies easily, doesn't leave any color on your skin, it looks very natural. It doesn't have a heavy feel. In that sense, it's very pleasant to wear. It doesn't flake on the skin and I didn't break out while using it. So it's all good for me! That's a product I would recommend!
Oh yeah, I forgot! I really liked the brand and that's why I just bought their Revitalizing Mask ;D I'll talk about it in another post!
In Switzerland, you can purchase Radical Skincare at Manor. Internationally it's also available at Sephora. You can learn more about Radical Skincare HERE.